The successor firm to James R. Craven & Associates, Tall Cedars Search and Recruitment is a collection of independent contractors and advisors who support executive searches from job posting to job offer. Our Associates include:
- Owner, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment.
- 20+ years experience as a professional Career Counsellor, with specialized expertise in resumes and workshop facilitation.
- Associate, writer, and editor with J.R. Craven & Associates, 2014 - 2019.
- Experienced in supporting full-cycle recruitment activities for municipalities and regional districts throughout BC and AB.
- Master of Education in Counselling Psychology.
- John established his boutique consulting practice in June 2018 after retiring from a 31-year career in local government administration in British Columbia.
- He is a proud member of the small, but mighty, group of municipal chief administrative officers whose background and training was in human resources.
- Throughout his career John witnessed how organizational health and culture is critical to success and how important it is for organizations to invest and focus on their people and culture.
- With the City of Surrey, District of West Vancouver, City of Vancouver, District of Squamish and City of Port Moody, Kevin held a total of 19 different local government positions including Waterworks Superintendent, Manager of Safety & Training, Yards Superintendent, Manager of Waterworks, Manager of Streets, Manager of Sanitation, Director of Emergency Management, General Manager of Human Resources, Chief Administrative Officer, and City Manager.
- In 2016, after 34 years in local government, Kevin retired from the City of Port Moody and incorporated the Innova Strategy Group.
- Kevin excels in leading-edge performance enhancement, maximizing leadership capacity, governance improvements, core service reviews, and strategic planning. Much of his success is related to restructuring organizations, supervisory/management groups, or over0arching governance structures, with an ongoing focus on leadership excellence.
- Board member / Past President of Saanich Legacy Foundation.
- 30 years experience in local government.
- Former Senior HR Manager for District of Saanich.
- Diploma in Public Sector Management (UVic).
- Intermediate and Senior Certificates in Municipal Administration, BC Board of Examiners.
James R. Craven
- Retired as the Principal of James R. Craven & Associates in 2020; conducted 240 executive searches in BC and Alberta since 2002.
- 17 years as Executive Director of the Municipal Finance Authority of British Columbia.
- 3 years ED of Fraser Valley Regional Library.5 years CAO of District of Oak Bay.
- 13 years as CAO / Treasurer for several BC municipalities Senior Certificate in Municipal Finance and Administration
- Recipient of Lieutenant Governor’s Silver Medal Award for Excellence in Public Administration (2000).