Are you looking for a unique and exciting opportunity to assist the Village of Lytton in rebuilding the community? Lytton is looking for the right person to take on this once-in-a-lifetime challenge of helping to creating a vibrant, resilient, and historical Village.
The location: With the acknowledgement that it is on the territory of the Nlaka’pamux peoples, the Village of Lytton is located 3 hours north of Vancouver, or 2 hours west of Kamloops. As the CFO, you will begin your new role working remotely, but will be close enough to Lytton to attend in-person meetings whenever needed.
The role: Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, you will plan, direct, and manage the Village’s overall financial plans, policies, and accounting practices. You will build and maintain positive working relationships with governing boards and organizations and members of the Village community. Your role will involve:
- Serving as a member of the Village’s senior management team; and advising staff and Council will regards to financial matters and issues.
- Carrying out statutory financial administrative duties under the Community Charter and Local Government Act.
- Developing finance-related bylaws and attending Council and committee meetings when needed.
The returns: You are the right person for this challenge if you value the rural lifestyle of a small community. The position offers a competitive salary range and a comprehensive benefits package. Above all, this is a unique opportunity to help support an entire community’s sustainable future as it rebuilds from the foundation up.
What you bring:
- An accounting designation, preferably working toward or having a financial designation.
- At least three (3) years progressive experience working in a municipal setting; and five (5) years in a managerial or supervisory capacity.
- Ability to train and mentor staff in areas of budget, financial planning, development of financial policies, collections, and asset management.
- Knowledge of PSAB accounting standards and experience in preparing and conducting audits.
- Knowledge and experience in CaseWare and MuniWare software, as well as asset management programs and software would be advantageous.
The next step: If you’re ready to take on this unique leadership challenge, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained by request from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the compensation and benefits.
Flo Follero-Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment
THE ROLE: Looking for the chance to achieve work / life balance in an outstanding community? This is an ideal opportunity for an HR professional who is ready for the challenge of managing service-oriented local government work in a highly desirable area of the province. With this role, you will have the opportunity to really get to know your clients and the community that you serve.
The Town is seeking a Human Resource Manager who shares the organizational values of innovation, excellence, integrity, honesty, teamwork, respect, and excellent customer service. Serving as the subject matter expert in Human Resources, the HR Manager provides strategic and professional advice to the Chief Administrative Officer, Directors, and Managers. You will lead the development and delivery of human resources services and programs; and advise on the management of labour and employee relations. You will support organizational capacity and an engaged workforce through the delivery of core human resources services and programs, and organizational initiatives.
THE LOCATION: Situated within the traditional territory of the Qualicum First Nation, the Town is a charming coastal village of 9000 people located on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Just 30 minutes north of Nanaimo, Qualicum Beach is surrounded by rivers, forest and farmland, and offers small-town character and walkability. An outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, Qualicum Beach has a temperate climate and year-round access to abundant recreational opportunities. The Town is responding progressively to social, economic, environmental and climate challenges while holding firm to those qualities that make Qualicum Beach a unique and attractive place to live.
THE REQUIREMENTS: The ideal candidate will possess a relevant undergraduate degree in a related field. Extensive experience of ten (10) or more years as a human resources generalist including accountability for labour relations and health and safety program management is required. Significant knowledge of the theory and practice of HR management prepares you to serve in this role as subject matter expert. You have demonstrated leadership abilities and value collaboration.
You have the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with managers, employees, and union representatives. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are flexible and willing to change priorities to meet changing deadlines. You are an effective and persuasive communicator. Your ability to deliver human resources services through a strategic and customer focused lens will be a key to success.
THE RETURNS: The annual salary for this exempt position will be commensurate with the candidate’s skills and experience. The range is between $107,734 to $123,664.
THE NEXT STEP:Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the benefits package.
Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment
WHAT IS MIEDS?
Established in 2008 on the unceded territory of the Haida Nation, the Misty Isles Economic Development Society (MIEDS) is a non-profit organization that provides leadership of economic development initiatives of the Haida Gwaii region. These projects and programs are undertaken jointly by the 5 communities of: Village of Massett, Village of Port Clements, Village of Daajing Giids, and Electoral Areas D & E Skeena-Queen Charlotte Regional District.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
The Executive Director is directly accountable to the Board of Directors for overall executive management and effective service delivery; development and refinement of service programs; and control over fiscal management. The Board identifies the goals and direction for the organization and the Executive Director develops and implements strategies for achieving them.
A proven track record of successful performance at the executive management level: staff supervision, strategic planning and evaluation, budget development.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a business and/or economic development environment.
- Demonstrated skills with fiscal management and reporting.
- Demonstrated aptitude for creating a positive environment for clients and staff.
- Experience with First Nations partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience with the management of rural Development.
- Demonstrated experience working with and developing a Board of Directors.
- Facilitation of diverse projects.
Post-secondary education in business and management.
- History of having led organizational growth and change.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of issues and governance associated with economic and business development in the Haida Gwaii regional area.
WHAT WILL YOU GET OUT OF IT?
- An annual salary of $65,000; and a blended / hybrid work environment that supports you to balance your working hours in ways that are most productive for you.
- A fantastic rural lifestyle with outdoor adventures galore.
- The chance to make a big difference with a small but energetic team.
WHAT DO YOU DO NOW THAT YOU’VE READ THE AD?
Send your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment, by Fri. Sept. 23, 2022. A Supplementary Package can be obtained by request from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the position benefits.
Flo Follero-Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment
THE ROLE: Mayor and Council of the Village of Sayward are looking for a confident professional with excellent communication skills for the role of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The CAO is responsible for the general management of all municipal operations and staff.
THE LOCATION: The seaside community of Sayward is located on northern Vancouver Island, just 50 minutes north of Campbell River. The Village is perched at the base of Newcastle Ridge and the mouth of the mighty Salmon River at Kelsey Bay, one of BC’s most important estuaries. Sayward is in the unceded Traditional Territory of the K’omoks, We Wai Kai and Wei Wai Kum First Nations. Approximately 350 people call Sayward home: residents are happy to share the spectacular natural environment of the Island with visitors and the 1000 residents in the nearby Sayward valley.
The quality of life in Sayward makes this an exciting opportunity for someone who appreciates the relaxed lifestyle of a small rural community. The area offers access to hiking trails, lakes and recreational sites, a marina for boat moorage and fishing, and is close to winter skiing at Mount Washington and Mount Cain.
- Post-secondary education related to public administration, business, or an equivalent combination of education and progressive experience.
- At least 5 (five) years’ progressive experience in local government administration, strategic planning, and organizational development.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, preferably in a local government setting.
- Experience providing professional advice and support to elected officials, staff, and stakeholders.
- Experience with grant writing and the grant application process.
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration will be considered an asset.
THE RETURNS: The annual salary for the CAO role will start at $110,000. Ideally, the candidate will relocate to the Village of Sayward; however, hybrid working considerations may be made for the ideal candidate who can effectively balance the challenges of leading and working virtually. The CAO will meet a firm commitment to being in-person for 3-4 days per week for key Village meetings, staff support, and events. Other additional work-life incentives are currently being considered by Mayor and Council.
THE NEXT STEP: Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the benefits package.
Flo Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment