Chief Administrative Officer
Town of Smithers
Surrounded by mountain ranges, Smithers is a northern gem, nestled at the base of Hudson Bay Mountain. With a population of 5400, it is a service hub for a surrounding region comprising a population of approximately 15,000.
Residents enjoy four seasons of recreational activities. In addition to a ski hill within a half an hour of town, the region offers world-class fishing, backcountry and cross-country skiing, hunting, golfing. The area also has alpine trails for hiking and horseback riding coupled with a lively music scene, Art Gallery, Museum, theatrical performances, and an energetic sporting community.
Smithers is situated within the traditional territory of the Wet’suwet’en people. The Town
enjoys a positive, collaborative relationship with the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs.
Reporting to the Town’s Mayor and Town Council, you will lead a 65-member team to consistently deliver high-quality municipal services to the community’s residents and implement Council’s strategic priorities.
As the ideal candidate, you will have strong academic credentials, a background in public administration or business administration, and a proven track record of accomplishments at the executive level. You have either served as the chief administrator of a smaller local government or as a senior manager of a larger one. Your sense of humour and communication skills make you a great team player; and you are ready to bring the Town your strategic thinking, financial literacy, and sound political judgement.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field such as public administration, business administration, commerce, law, etc.
- Three to five years’ experience at a senior management level in a local government environment, preferably as a CAO or comparable experience
- Experience working with First Nations
- Strong team leadership, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Discretion, tact, and good judgment
- Willingness to be innovative, creative and entrepreneurial
- Demonstrated ability to work in a political environment, balance competing interests and function in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation, regulations and policies and to provide appropriate advice; and
- Ability to foster a positive, collaborative, and respectful work environment.
The annual salary range for this position will range between $164, 925 – $174, 925, and will be commensurate with your qualifications and experience.
To apply, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment by Friday Nov. 17, 5:00 pm PDT. A Supplementary Package can be obtained by request from the Consultant, which includes further details about the position and the community.
Unlock Exceptional Opportunities
Discover your path to career advancement or find the perfect addition to your team. At Tall Cedars, we connect talent with opportunity, ensuring mutual growth and success.