Chief Administrative Officer
Village of Sayward
Mayor and Council of the Village of Sayward are looking for a confident professional with excellent communication skills for the role of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The CAO is responsible for the general management of all municipal operations and staff.
The seaside community of Sayward is located on northern Vancouver Island, just 50 minutes north of Campbell River. The Village is perched at the base of Newcastle Ridge and the mouth of the mighty Salmon River at Kelsey Bay, one of BC’s most important estuaries. Sayward is in the unceded Traditional Territory of the K’omoks, We Wai Kai and Wei Wai Kum First Nations. Approximately 350 people call Sayward home: residents are happy to share the spectacular natural environment of the Island with visitors and the 1000 residents in the nearby Sayward valley.
The quality of life in Sayward makes this an exciting opportunity for someone who appreciates the relaxed lifestyle of a small rural community. The area offers access to hiking trails, lakes and recreational sites, a marina for boat moorage and fishing, and is close to winter skiing at Mount Washington and Mount Cain.
- Post-secondary education related to public administration, business, or an equivalent combination of education and progressive experience.
- At least 5 (five) years’ progressive experience in local government administration, strategic planning, and organizational development.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, preferably in a local government setting.
- Experience providing professional advice and support to elected officials, staff, and stakeholders.
- Experience with grant writing and the grant application process.
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration will be considered an asset.
The annual salary for the CAO role will start at $110,000. Ideally, the candidate will relocate to the Village of Sayward; however, hybrid working considerations may be made for the ideal candidate who can effectively balance the challenges of leading and working virtually. The CAO will meet a firm commitment to being in-person for 3-4 days per week for key Village meetings, staff support, and events. Other additional work-life incentives are currently being considered by Mayor and Council.
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the benefits package.
Unlock Exceptional Opportunities
Discover your path to career advancement or find the perfect addition to your team. At Tall Cedars, we connect talent with opportunity, ensuring mutual growth and success.