Director of Planning
District of Kitimat
This posting is now closed. Tall Cedars thanks all applicants.
The District of Kitimat is recruiting for a Director of Planning. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director will oversee the planning department of three planners and one planning clerk and play an integral role on the District’s senior management team.
Located in Northwest BC, Kitimat is a master-planned greenbelt community and home to just over 8,000 residents. Kitimat provides a stable tax base and is experiencing growth from increased levels of industrial, residential, and commercial development. To learn more about your new home, visit https://kitimatbound.ca/move-to-kitimat/.
- Provide technical and professional advice on land use and planning related matters to Council, the Chief Administrative Officer and other Municipal Departments, Council Committees and Commissions, developers, industrial project proponents and the public.
- Prepare, recommend and implement both short- and long- term planning strategies and plans.
- Recommend administrative and Council action regarding development applications for such matters as zoning amendment, temporary land use, and development permits; and ensure application processing occurs in accordance with provincial statutes and the Kitimat Municipal Code.
- Provide leadership and daily supervision to municipal employees and provide direction on workflow and priorities to staff.
- A competitive starting salary range of $119,496 – $132,773 dependent on experience, with additional increases based on years of service and annual considerations from Council
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Professional development opportunities to grow your skills and further your career
- Complimentary use of the District’s fantastic recreation facilities
- Relocation assistance if you are moving to the area
- A rental subsidy for the first year of your employment
- A university degree, preferably a post graduate degree in planning or a closely related field
- Relevant work experience including supervisory experience in a municipal setting
- Knowledge of local government practices in community planning
- A proven ability to manage complex planning projects
- Current membership or membership eligibility with the Planning Institute of British Columbia
Why should you choose Kitimat?
At the District of Kitimat, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve, establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, we will work with you on arranging an accommodation where possible that is suitable for your abilities.
If you are ready to join a progressive employer in a growing region, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description and details of the comprehensive benefits plan. This position will remain open until filled.
Unlock Exceptional Opportunities
Discover your path to career advancement or find the perfect addition to your team. At Tall Cedars, we connect talent with opportunity, ensuring mutual growth and success.