North Salt Spring Waterworks District
North Salt Spring Waterworks District is seeking a new Safety Officer. This is a temporary 2- year, full time contract, with the possible option for extension.
Located in the beautiful Southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring Island is a vibrant, active rural community and a great place to live. Surrounded by the Salish Sea, the area offers a year-round mild climate with a broad selection of pursuits for the outdoor enthusiast. Amenities and services include excellent elementary and secondary schools, a hospital, library, renowned arts and culinary options, and health and wellness retreats. Greater Victoria and the Cowichan Valley are both just a short ferry ride away.
The mission of the NSSWD is “to provide potable water within the NSSWD boundaries in an efficient and sustainable manner.” This encompasses residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional users or approximately 5,500 people within the District boundaries. The NSSWD also operates six other regional district and improvement district water systems under contract.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Safety Officer will play an integral role in the work environment of the District. The Safety Officer will use their technical expertise and ability to form effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff, consultants, contractors, and regulatory agencies to promote and maintain the safety culture across the District.
- Provision of safety management, advice, monitoring, and reporting in the workplace.
- Role modelling and engaging staff in techniques and programs that ensure safe work practices.
- Compiling, standardizing, and presenting safety programs, training, and informational sessions.
- Performing scheduled and non-scheduled inspections of facilities, equipment, and contractors; ensuring compliance with WSBC, WCA, AND OHSR guidelines; and working with departments to correct any identified unsafe work practices.
- Supporting the Operations Manager with product research, evaluation, and recommendation for safety equipment purchases.
- Strong skills in communications (verbal and written), time management, and research.
- Post secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety, Risk Management, Engineering or Public Works.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a dedicated Occupational Health and Safety role preferable in a municipal environment primarily in a safety practitioner role that includes investigations, inspections, and program development.
- Valid BC Drivers’ License Class 5.
- Professional designation or membership such as Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Health and Safety Consultant (CHSC), or Canadian Society of Safety Engineers (CSSE) would be an asset.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding role, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search, by Thurs. June 30, 2022. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits, and details of the compensation. Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
Unlock Exceptional Opportunities
Discover your path to career advancement or find the perfect addition to your team. At Tall Cedars, we connect talent with opportunity, ensuring mutual growth and success.