North Salt Spring Waterworks District is seeking a new Waterworks Operator Level 2.
Located in the beautiful Southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring Island is a vibrant, active rural community and a great place to live. Surrounded by the Salish Sea, the area offers a year-round mild climate with a broad selection of pursuits for the outdoor enthusiast. Amenities and services include excellent elementary and secondary schools, a hospital, library, renowned arts and culinary options, and health and wellness retreats. Greater Victoria and the Cowichan Valley are both just a short ferry ride away.
The mission of the NSSWD is “to provide potable water within the NSSWD boundaries in an efficient and sustainable manner.” This encompasses residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional users or approximately 5,500 people within the District boundaries. The NSSWD also operates six other regional district and improvement district water systems under contract.
Under the direction of the Waterworks Supervisor, the incumbent independently performs daily operations and maintenance routines related to designated components of the District’s water treatment plants and water distribution systems.
To succeed in this position, you must have:
• Strong communications (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills.
• Thorough knowledge of practices, methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the operation, maintenance, and repair of water systems.
• Familiarity with SCADA systems.
• Knowledge of disinfection practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of rules, regulations, standards, and legislation governing treatment of water quality.
• Ability to work in confined spaces.
• Ability to work positively within own team and across the organization to achieve groups and organizational goals.
• Ability to effectively use computer-based applications and technology to complete tasks.
Qualifications and Education:
• EOCP Water Distribution Level II and Water Treatment Level II certification.
• Transportation of Dangerous Goods certification
• WHMIS certification.
• Minimum 4 years’ related experience.
• Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License.
• Diploma in Water Treatment Technology, Water Engineering Technology or equivalent is preferred.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding role, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search, by Friday April 29, 2022. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits, and details of the compensation.
Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
Flo Follero-Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment