North Salt Spring Waterworks District is seeking a new Senior Water Quality Technician.
Located in the beautiful Southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring Island is a vibrant, active rural community and a great place to live. Surrounded by the Salish Sea, the area offers a year-round mild climate with a broad selection of pursuits for the outdoor enthusiast. Amenities and services include excellent elementary and secondary schools, a hospital, library, renowned arts and culinary options, and health and wellness retreats. Greater Victoria and the Cowichan Valley are both just a short ferry ride away.
The mission of the NSSWD is “to provide potable water within the NSSWD boundaries in an efficient and sustainable manner.” This encompasses residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional users or approximately 5,500 people within the District boundaries. The NSSWD also operates six other regional district and improvement district water systems under contract.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Senior Water Quality Technician plays a key role in ensuring and facilitating high quality and safe water production and distribution in the NSSWD and other districts as assigned. This position works within the Operations department and is responsible for a variety of functions including Quality Control, Documentation, and support to both the Operations Manager and the Operations teams.
- Supervises the water quality and quantity monitoring programs.
- Responsible for entering, data in water quality database.
- Reviews, and verifies data in water quality database.
- Monitors lake levels and climate data and updates spreadsheets and charts.
- Monitors bacteriological blooms in Lakes for toxin production and makes sampling recommendations.
- Conducts dam inspections, records relevant data, and prepares related reports.
- Prepares monthly and annual water quality reports.
- Prepares annual water audit.
- Provide guidance on flushing, decontamination, and sampling measures to address watermain break events.
- Provide guidance and input into the annual flushing program.
- Facilitates the creation of studies and reports as required.
- Provides support, guidance and direction to operations staff as required.
Qualifications and Education:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, Water Engineering Technology or equivalent and minimum six years of directly related experience as a water quality specialist in a municipal waterworks environment.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and satisfactory criminal record check.
- Registration with the Applied Science Technologist and Technicians of British Columbia is an asset.
- Additional training in Water Quality, Water Treatment, Environmental Technology or in a relevant science such as biology or environmental science.
If you are ready to take on this challenging and rewarding role, forward your resume and cover letter to Tall Cedars Search, by Fri. Aug. 26, 2022. A Supplementary Information Package can be obtained from the Consultant, which includes a complete job description, benefits, and details of the compensation. Please feel welcome to request the package by email, and following that to discuss the position with the undersigned:
Flo Follero-Pugh, Tall Cedars Search & Recruitment